SAC Share the Plate Pilot
Share the Plate Calendar
January Share the Plate for Black Lives of UU http://www.blacklivesuu.com
February Share the Plate for LDB Peace Institute
March Share the Plate for Centro Arte Para la Paz http://capsuchitoto.org/
April Nominations re-opened till March 4
from congregants or First Parish committees
May Share the Plate recipient may selected by First Parish youth
June Give the Plate for Puerto Rico reconstruction.
What is Share the Plate ?
In Share the Plate collections, half of the funds raised (other than those designated as fulfilling pledges), will go to the designated recipient organization and the other half will go to First Parish.
Why pilot Share the Plate?
Share the Plate programs have been around for years, and are used by many congregations. Michael Durall’s writing on creating generous congregations in the early 2000’s spread the word about Share the Plates.
Congregations have found that STP programs created a broader sense of ownership of the Social Action giving process. They also provide an opportunity for congregants to learn about and make connections with new social justice organizations.
Share the plates are generally thought to increase the overall plate total – so the church actually receives more from a shared plate than regular collections.
Can I nominate a recipient for Share the Plate? Nominations Reopened
The SAC Board is soliciting nominations for organizations to share the plate for the month of April. Any First Parish program or pledging member may submit a nomination between now and March 4. Nominees should normally be a 501(3)3 organization. Download the nomination form here: SAC_STP_Nomination Form 12_17_2017
Liaison to selected nominees
If your nomination is selected, you will need a First Parish liaison to the organization to coordinate their visit to a service and/or a coffee hour so that the congregation can learn more about the organization’s work. You may serve as the liaison or find another First Parish member.
How will selections be made among nominated organizations?
A selection committee will be convened from members of the SAC Board and its SAC Giving Workgroup, and other interested congregants.
To join the Selection Committee:
The Committee will meet in mid-March.
What are the selection criteria?
The following eligibility and selection criteria were drafted by the SAC Giving Workgroup and approved by the SAC Board, and Rev. Dana. Please submit comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday March 4.
Eligibility Criteria for Share the Plate
- Nominated by a First Parish program or a pledging member/s
- Mission consistent with UU principles
- Non-profit (501c3) status
- Likely share of collections would make a meaningful difference to the organization (Organization’s Form 990 will be reviewed to determine whether it is of a size where a collection of $3,000 to $10,000 would make a significant difference.)
Selection Criteria for Share the Plate
Of those eligible, the Selection Committee will consider the following in making a selection of three organizations to Share the Plate in February, March and April.
- Extent of support from the congregation (# of nominating sponsors, # of FP programs nominating, opportunities for generating matching funds)
- Opportunity for congregants to build a relationship with the recipient organization (opportunities for partnership, volunteering, or further fundraising)
- Selecting recipients to contribute to a variety of local, national, and international target populations and to different social justice missions
- Opportunity to align collections with themes of sermons and social action events
- Degree to which collection would support the priorities of the Unitarian Universalist Association
Download Eligibility and Selection Criteria Criteria for Selection of Share the Plate Recipients 12_18_17
Can a SAC grantee be nominated?
Yes. An organization may be sponsored for a SAC grant and nominated for a Share the Plate. However, if an organization is selected for a Share the Plate, it will not be considered for a SAC grant. See the SAC Grants webpage for more information about sponsoring a SAC grant application see: http://firstparish.org/wp/justice/social-action/sac-grants/
Evaluation of STP and SAC Grants
In the spring, the SAC Giving Workgroup will assess the initial experience with Share the Plate, as well as the SAC grants process in order to share recommendations with the Standing Committee on how best to continue social action giving in the future.
We are currently working on an evaluation plan, which will include generating feedback from the congregation, analysis of funds raised, and the advantages and disadvantages of each way of raising and donating funds.