Share the Plate
Share the Plate Calendar
|STP September 2018||Concord Prison Outreach||https://www.concordprisonoutreach.org|
|STP October 2018||Mil Milagros||http://www.milmilagros.org|
|STP November 2018||Camino Verde||https://www.caminoverde.org|
|STP December 2018||International Rescue||https://www.rescue.org|
What is Share the Plate ?
In Share the Plate collections, half of the funds raised (other than those designated as fulfilling pledges), will go to the designated recipient organization and the other half will go to First Parish.
Why Share the Plate?
Share the Plate programs have been around for years, and are used by many congregations. Michael Durall’s writing on creating generous congregations in the early 2000’s spread the word about Share the Plates.
Congregations have found that STP programs created a broader sense of ownership of the Social Action giving process. They also provide an opportunity for congregants to learn about and make connections with new social justice organizations.
Share the plates are generally thought to increase the overall plate total – so the church actually receives more from a shared plate than regular collections.
Can I nominate a recipient for Share the Plate? Nominations Reopened
The SAC Giving Team is now accepting requests for Share the Plate nominations.
Liaison to selected nominees
If your nomination is selected, you will need a First Parish sponsor to the organization to coordinate their visit to a service and/or a coffee hour so that the congregation can learn more about the organization’s work. You may serve as the liaison or find another First Parish member.
How will selections be made among nominated organizations?
The SAC Giving Group recommends nominations to the SAC Board.
To join the Selection Committee:
The Committee meets monthly.
What are the selection criteria?
The following eligibility and selection criteria were drafted by the SAC Giving Workgroup and approved by the SAC Board and Rev. Dana.
Eligibility Criteria for Share the Plate
- Nominated by a First Parish program or a pledging member/s
- Mission consistent with UU principles
- Non-profit (501c3) status
- Likely share of collections would make a meaningful difference to the organization (Organization’s Form 990 will be reviewed to determine whether it is of a size where a collection of $3,000 to $10,000 would make a significant difference.)
Selection Criteria for Share the Plate
Of those eligible, the Selection Committee will consider the following in making a selection of three organizations to Share the Plate in February, March and April.
- Extent of support from the congregation (# of nominating sponsors, # of FP programs nominating, opportunities for generating matching funds)
- Opportunity for congregants to build a relationship with the recipient organization (opportunities for partnership, volunteering, or further fundraising)
- Selecting recipients to contribute to a variety of local, national, and international target populations and to different social justice missions
- Opportunity to align collections with themes of sermons and social action events
- Degree to which collection would support the priorities of the Unitarian Universalist Association
Download Eligibility and Selection Criteria Criteria for Selection of Share the Plate Recipients 12_18_17
Can a SAC grantee be nominated?
Yes. An organization may be sponsored for a SAC grant and nominated for a Share the Plate. However, if an organization is selected for a Share the Plate, it will not be considered for a SAC grant. See the SAC Grants webpage for more information about sponsoring a SAC grant application see: http://firstparish.org/wp/justice/social-action/sac-grants/